The LEAP Outreach Worker will join the Learner Engagement & Attendance Program (LEAP)
and work collaboratively with a team of Student Success Team members from Bridgeport Public
Schools. LEAP aims to reduce chronic absenteeism in Bridgeport Public Schools through a
home visiting model. The LEAP team conducts daily outreach to chronically absent students &
their families, and works to re-engage the student while removing barriers to attendance. This
position will involve frequent communication with students and families in Bridgeport, daily home
visits and on-the-ground support for students requiring daily documentation of efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Conduct outreach to chronically absent students and families through phone calls, texts,
email and home visits
● Schedule and conduct home visits with families throughout the Bridgeport community
● Maintain communication with Bridgeport Public Schools Student Success Team
members to communicate information from families back to schools
● Establish relationships with families to gain a clear picture of student and family needs
● Work with families to remove barriers to attendance and create individual and
personalized plans for student re-engagement
● Maintain regular contact with families to anticipate future attendance issues
● Refer participants to community-based organizations (e.g. housing services, long-term
counseling, child-care, substance use counseling, mental health counseling, legal
support services) to remove barriers to attendance and/or academic success
● Work with team members to maintain and update the agency’s resource/referral
● Build and maintain relationships with local service providers and program partners
● Attend community and partner meetings and events
● Assist youth in developing goals and individualized action plans
● Maintain data collection of participants, interventions, and outcomes
● Provide other additional relevant tasks as needed assigned by the administration and/or
RYASAP Attendance Coordinator.
Previous experience working with students and/or in a K-12 school setting preferred. Familiarity
with the City of Bridgeport, local agencies & service providers preferred. Applicants must be
self-motivated and have excellent writing and communication skills, and be willing to interact
with families in all Bridgeport communities. Position will require travel throughout Bridgeport,
daily access to a personal vehicle or ability to utilize public transportation. Mileage
reimbursement or bus passes will be provided. Regular program hours are 9:00 – 5:30pm.
COVID 19 vaccination is required.
● Excellent organizational, writing and communication skills
● Ability to work with diverse communities and a willingness to develop trusting
relationships with students and families in Bridgeport
● Experience using Microsoft Office, Google Docs and Microsoft Teams
Part time, 20-28 hours/week, during the hours of 9:00 – 5:30pm; evening and weekend hours
may be required at times.